Monday, 18 February 2008

The dark side of animal husbandry


Today Salem (big black cat) was due his boosters. Needless to say he vanished 30 mins before we were due to leave. I phoned to cancel and of course he wandered up giving me "just" enough time to get there if I really rushed. I was still abotu 5 mins late, but that didn't matter.


Upon arrival, he did a smelly, but I was able to get him out of the box and swap the paper for clean stuff without too much trouble.


En route home he did even more. I had to drive with the windows down. Arrive home and carried the smelly cat box into the garden and let the rather damp and mal-odorous beastie out.


Went through the house to get cleaning equipment from the kitchen only to find that the young cat, Angel, had caught and dismembered a bird whilst I was gone, leaving feathers, entrails and carcas all over the dining room floor.


First I cleaned up the smelly cat carrying box. Thank goodness for the invention of the plastic ones which clip apart for easy cleaning.

Next I returned and swept up the feathers (with difficulty as they kept flying around) and collected up the bits of bird and cleaned the floor up.

Next I attacked the big cat with some kitchen towel to remove the remains of what he'd been sitting in in his basket. Neither he nor I enjoyed this much.


Then I made myself a cup of tea and went to sit down in the living room ... to the sounds of the small cat throwing up the bits of the bird he had eaten on the kitchen floor.


I left my tea and cleared that up. At that point I decided this was a real "chocolate biscuit" moment and hot footed it up to the local shop to purchase some.


The fresh air made me feel a bit better and I'm now stuffed with chocolate hob-nobs and tea.


Animals! Don't you just love them :)

No comments: