Sunday, 13 April 2008

Chickens with the sniffles

Having got four chickens, I did not expect my egg production to go down, but that it has. First we started seeing rather odd eggs. One arrived that had a soft shell and broke inside the nest box. Then one with a shell that was so soft it dented as you picked it up. We looked this up in the book and it could be that one of our immature hens is just starting to lay.

But then the supply dried up....entirely. From two eggs per day from Saffy and Patsy, we were down to one if we were lucky!

Then we spotted them sneezing. They were all sneezing and Pasty had, would you believe, a runny nose! They have little nostrils in their beaks and hers was definitely running with snot. Having wiped her beak a couple of times to get rid of the mucus, we came to the conclusion that maybe she'd stopped laying because she was feeling a bit off colour.

I'm now treating them with organic citrus drops that you add to their water and which, apparently, works wonders on chickens with colds.

I hope it works soon. I'd hate to have to buy eggs again!

No comments: