Wednesday, 9 July 2008

Wednesday 9th July Rainy day visit to Orford Castle

Weather forecast for today is dire, but awoke to nice sunshine. Kids slept in and as we’d decided to do Orford today (the castle and shop) we weren’t in any hurry. Some sprinklings of rain started around 9:30 but still nothing like what has been forecast .

I walked down to the quay with Dave to put the keys under the flowerpot. By this time it was pouring. I phoned Suffolk holidays to tell them we’d moved in OK and see what they were planning. Here I was a bit surprised. She said that they were getting the appartment checked today, for which I was relieved. However then she said that they were sending Ray, the handiman for all the appartments and houses that they managed, to check for any bats in the property. She’d looked on the Bat Conservation Trust Website and gleaned that they tend to hid behind picture frames etc. I said that we’d already checked but been unable to spot the bat, but had left all the windows and French doors open the previous evening and hoped that the bat had escaped. I also said that the juvenile bat was still alive on the balcony and when were they getting the bat conservation trust out. She said that they hadn’t called the bat conservation trust but had gone through their website.

I’m now a bit worried about the bats. The bat conservation trust will come out and tell you how to make the colony safe so it doesn’t intrude into the living quarters. But the Suffolk Hols people seemed to just be concerned to make sure that there weren’t any live bats in at that time. Maybe I misunderstood, but as I see it, they could easily do something illegal to the colony like kill all the bats. Total quandry about what to do next, but I think I need to notify both the Bat Conservation Trust and maybe some authority that regulates holiday rental properties. The Suffolk Hols people have been very good at finding us a nice cottage – well, they keep on saying what a nice garden it has – not realising that we live in a 16th Centrury thatched cottage with a huge garden already and really just wanted the sea views of the loft. But they just don’t seem to hear what I’m saying when I say the bats are getting into the cottage through the walls, not the windows.

We couldn’t stay in the appt because live bats in the bedroom is difficult to live with. Nevertheless, I feel like it was a tremendous privilege. Releasing that bat was so exciting. I shall have to do something to make sure the bats stay safe.

Today was a complete wet wash out. However we went to the Trinity restaurant at the Crown and Castle for a brilliant lunch. I think I had the best quiche I’ve ever had and the salad dressing was brilliant. In fact, couldn’t fault it. After that we went around Orford Castle which was unexpectedly impressive. Another English Heritage property, but really fascinating with one of the best guide books I’ve ever had. It really brought it to life. Both this castle and the one at Framlingham offered audio guides, but we don’t like them. Instead I speed read the guide book and read bits out as we wandered around. That combined with the plagues was really good. The kids loved it too which was nice.

Too wet to do anything much in the afternoon so watched video of Notting Hill provided at the dear little cottage. Tomorrow should be better weather.

I plan to phone the Bat Conservation Trust tomorrow and give them all the details of the colony as I’m now really worried that the owners or managing agents may try to wipe out the bats – or subject the next visitors to midnight visits. We’re fairly down to earth, but even we couldn’t stay for long. Imagine a family with young children in the galleried room. They’d be scared to death.

I guess I also need to phone Suffolk Holidays again and be really clear about the fact that the bats can be heard and are coming through the wall. I plan to do this by letter once I’m home. I could also email them the photos and video I’ve taken. That might help.

No comments: