Saturday, 28 July 2007

Cycling to the pub


Dave went into town yesterday to buy parts for our bikes. We have two old but good Dawes Galaxy road bikes with drop handlebars and gear changers on the down tube. We also have three mountain bikes - Daves, Esther's and Stephen's. Stephen has also bought himself a BMX bike for stunts.

Having put new tyres and inner tubes on our Dawes (they are about 20 years old and I think the rubber was perishing), we set off with Stephen on his old mountain bike. A little small for him but otherwise OK.

Wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was probably no more than 3 miles to the pub and 3 miles back again with a couple of small hills and a bit of wind (in the air, not personal!!!)

Discovered muscles I didn't know I still had, but really enjoyed it. An easy way to get an hour's exercise in. We'll try to do it again. Why leap in the car every time I need to pop to the next village for something. If the bike is working, I must make myself use it.

Old habits are hard to break though.

No comments: