Tuesday, 3 July 2007

My house is a bus stop


Well, may as well start as I mean to go on. This blog is for my personal reflections about day-to-day things. As most of my day-to-day reflections concern the house we moved into last September and have been "fixing up" ever since, I thought I'd start as I meant to go on.

On his way to the car one morning, Dave was surprised to find a woman standing on the drive, right next to it. When he looked rather quizically at her, she clearly felt obliged to explain and said “I’m waiting for a bus”. He was still rather confused so she elaborated, saying “This is the bus stop - it doesn’t need a sign, everyone in the village knows the bus stops here”. Indeed, there is a nice covered bus stop opposite the house so it made sense.

Our house is the bus stop.

A few days later I was sitting in the livingroom with my laptop, working away, when there was a knock at the door. It was a woman (possibly the same one) in quite an agitated state saying “Has the Hitchin bus been yet - I’ve an appointement and its 3 minutes late. If I’ve missed it I shall have to get my skates on to get to the train station”. Having been sat for the past hour, I was able to reassure her that I hadn’t heard the bus go past. Sure enough, a couple of minute later I saw the Hitchin bus heading off with it’s passenger.

Our house is obviously also the bus information centre :)

Village life is certainly quite different to the townies life we were used to.

No comments: