Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Cliff Walk from Salcombe

Brilliant weather yet again. Our boots had dried so we headed for Salcombe to have lunch and then search for another geocache at Gara Rock by taking the ferry across the estuary and then doing part of the coastal path. Arrived in Salcombe and drove into the town. Big mistake. Salcombe is the prettiest little place but not designed for the car and all the car parks were full. We had to navigate our way out and use the little park and ride.

There were so many people, we had to wait for the second bus, but that didn't take long and we rattled down the steep roads in a vehicle that must have been older than I am. Got off and found a lovely pub where we sat on the terrace overlooking the bay and ate and watched the teeming boats. It was lovely.

A 1 min ferry ride across took us to the start of the walk and off we went. The coastline was spectacular and we tool lots of pictures. Arriving at the Gara rock, there was a funny little thatched lookout on the peak. The map had said that there was also a hotel there - good think we weren't relying on this for lunch as it had been completely demolished ready to rebuild! Just a hole in the ground. Found the geocache easily and headed back. Got a little confused on the path back and ended up making our way thorugh a nasty patch of stinging nettles and prickles back to the path. I think my ankles will get immune to stinging nettles eventually. Even when there are no nettles near the cache, you're just bound to run into them.

Back to a nice ice-cream and then did some shopping in Salcombe. There were fantastic shops - quite unexpectedly. We each bought something. Steve got some lovely FatFace trousers half price in the sale, I got a lovely skirt from White Stuff - when I wear it it will be the first skirt this year! Dave and I also got nice kind of woven cardigan/fleece type things from a shop called xxxx Fish. I thought it was a fish restaurant initially and was very disappointed until I found the lovely top. So returned feeling like we'd had the best day ever.

No comments: