While I was in Edinburgh, Stephen had to do lots of research and phoning around to try to find himself something for September. Actually, he did very well. We had found a couple of courses before I left and sent off application forms, but he found one he really liked the look of, just a short train journey from us.
He booked himself an interview for 11am on Thursday. Got on his bike to peddal to the train station. Got a puncture. Raced back home. Leaped on his sisters rather smaller bike and peddalled off at full speed. He said it was difficult to go up hills as his knees hit the handle bars so he had to get off. He made it though and got taken round the college by the vice principal who was very impressed with him. He too was impressed with the college and the courses offered and she said she'd try to hold a space open for him provided he could send the completed application form off to arrive by next Tuesday.
Today we went to the Cambridge Regional College, but chatting to the BTEC in Media (moving image) chap, he very soon ferreted out the fact that Stephen's first love was digital photography not the moving image so it really didn't seem like a good idea. Also, it was a log way away - he'd have to catch a bus from a village 3 miles away at 7:35 every morning. With the CCSS (Cambridge College of Sixth-form Studies) he'd just have to catch the local train.
Anyway, we've sent the application form off, I've spoken to the vice-principal who seems really nice. I think we'll go in together so I can look around. It seems perfect. I've phoned John Dunstan to confirm that Stephen will not be returning so we're headed for quite a different life - with Stephen home all the time. That will be really nice. The house feels rather empty when both kids are away.
Stephen is really looking forward to it which is good. He had such a knock to his confidence that it's nice to see him feeling cheerful and optimistic again. Shame it's another independent college with termly fees, but I guess that's just par for the course. None of the state colleges had the right courses or were close enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment